Do you have lights in your home that dim when the refrigerator kicks on? Have you ever felt a slight shock when you touch your stove with wet hands? These are just two situations that should be looked at by an electrician. I didn't give any attention to the lights that were dimming in my laundry room when I turned my dryer on. A few months after I had noticed it, we had a small electrical fire in the ceiling. To find more home electrical symptoms that shouldn't be ignored, visit my website. Here, you will find symptoms, problems and solutions for each.
When building a home, you may be tempted to save money by installing the electrical yourself. If know what you're doing, it can be easy to do the installation with all of the walls of your home open and accessible. Just make sure to avoid making any of these 3 mistakes.
1. Not Getting A Permit
You may be able to do electrical work on your own, but you still need to acquire a permit when doing so. While you may believe you can get away without having a permit because the electrical work is hidden behind the walls, that is a huge reason why getting caught without a permit is such as big problem.
A building inspector needs to verify that all of the electrical work was done properly, which requires seeing it for themselves. If you have already close the walls when hit with a surprise inspection, you will have to open up the walls for your work to be verified. This can lead to costly construction costs, defeating the purpose of doing the work yourself.
2. Ignoring Electrical Codes
Any electrical work that you do in a home will need to conform to all electrical codes. Taking short cuts can eventually come back to haunt you. Even if your home's electrical is operating fine, it could be a problem when you go to sell your house one day.
Potential buyers will have a home inspection done of their own, and if they find electrical work not up to code, it could cause your buyer to walk away. They may require that you fix the electrical so that it is up to code, or give them a credit at closing, so they can afford to fix it themselves.
More importantly, ignoring electrical codes can compromise the safety of your home. Doing something as simple as having more wires than necessary in an outlet can cause overheating, and eventually start a fire.
3. Covering Spice Boxes
A common mistake that novice electricians make is covering up all of the splice boxes behind drywall. You need access to these boxes in the future if you are having problems with your home's electrical, especially if you need to fish new wires through the conduit. Hiding the boxes will make it difficult to find them, and cause unnecessary damage to open up walls to access them.
If you don't feel confident that you can do a proper job wiring your home, hire an electrician at Attaboy Electric Service LLC. It is the best way to ensure that everything is done properly.