Do you have lights in your home that dim when the refrigerator kicks on? Have you ever felt a slight shock when you touch your stove with wet hands? These are just two situations that should be looked at by an electrician. I didn't give any attention to the lights that were dimming in my laundry room when I turned my dryer on. A few months after I had noticed it, we had a small electrical fire in the ceiling. To find more home electrical symptoms that shouldn't be ignored, visit my website. Here, you will find symptoms, problems and solutions for each.
Like all sources of home heating, baseboard heating systems can also cause house fires. If you make poor decisions during the installation or during use, your home could go up in flames. Below, you will learn what you must keep in mind as you install and use the baseboard heating system in your home.
Avoid Electrical Outlets
Your baseboard heater should never be installed directly below an electrical outlet. Running the heater below the outlet could cause the outlet to overheat and catch fire. If the best place to install the heater is directly below an outlet, disconnect the outlet from the home electrical system. You could also raise the outlet so that you still have an outlet on the wall, but not directly above the source of heat.
Furniture and Drapery
Never place furniture, or hang floor-length drapery in front of baseboard heaters. These household items could easily catch fire and quickly start a house fire if they come into contact with the baseboard heater for an extended period of time. If you must position a piece of furniture directly in front of a baseboard heater, be sure to leave enough space between them to allow the heat to circulate away from the furniture.
Dust and Debris
Take the time to clean under and around the baseboard heater regularly. Dust and debris that is trapped under the heater could ignite and cause a house fire. Use a dusting tool to reach under the heater and remove all of the dust and debris at least once each week.
If you have baseboard heaters in your children's bedrooms, take extra measures to ensure that the children don't push toys, blankets, and other flammable items up against the heater. Use wire mesh to build a cage around the baseboard heater. A cage that allows for 6 inches of clearance between the heater and flammable items is all that is needed to prevent a fire. Do this by using wire mesh and some wooden slats to build a removable enclosed frame. The heater will have enough air circulating around it to heat the room, but there will be less of a chance of your child getting burned or his or her room catching fire.
If you are unsure if your baseboard heater is safe in your home, contact your local repair technician. He or she will be able to inspect the heater, make any necessary adjustments and advise you of what you can do to increase the safety of your baseboard heaters.