Do you have lights in your home that dim when the refrigerator kicks on? Have you ever felt a slight shock when you touch your stove with wet hands? These are just two situations that should be looked at by an electrician. I didn't give any attention to the lights that were dimming in my laundry room when I turned my dryer on. A few months after I had noticed it, we had a small electrical fire in the ceiling. To find more home electrical symptoms that shouldn't be ignored, visit my website. Here, you will find symptoms, problems and solutions for each.
Have you recently moved into a new home? Did you find out only after moving in that the electrical system is in need of repair? Although you might be tempted to try to tackle the issues yourself, here are some reasons and times that you should call in a professional electrician instead:
Wire sizes: Wires come in a variety of widths, each one appropriate for a different task. Some circuits in your home might need a 14 gauge wire, while others will need 18 gauge. If you're not a professional electrician, you won't be able to tell whether or not the previous owners also attempted to DIY a project and, in doing so, used the wrong wire size. While nothing may have happened so far, using the wrong size of wire can create a fire hazard. A professional electrician will use the correct supplies so that you and your family are kept safe.
Water-resistant fixtures: If you need a receptacle outside, in order to plug in your electric lawnmower, or you need to add an outside light to the side of your home, it will need to be water-resistant. If not installed correctly and with the proper hardware, such fixtures could be a shock hazard every time it rains. A risk of shock also means a potential risk of fire. A professional electrician will know how to waterproof these fixtures to prevent rain and other moisture from entering. He or she may also choose to add safety measures that will cause the circuit to shut off in the event of too much moisture.
Underground wiring: You may want to add outdoor lights or to wire up controls for a sprinkler system. Either of these may require burying some or all of the necessary wires. But if you use ordinary household wiring, you'll have issues. Because household wiring is not made to be buried underground, it can start to oxidize and decay in the presence of the dirt and moisture. A professional electrician will know which wiring is safe to use underground and how to best protect it from the elements in your area.
Wire securement: For safety reasons, you obviously need to attach wires to the wall studs at various points. Sometimes this is done with wire staples, other times it may be done with brackets. If the wrong size bracket is used or if the staples are hammered in too vigorously, the wire insulation may be damaged. This damage can result in a short that may then cause a fire. A good electrician will know how to secure the wires properly and safely, without causing any damage to them. If you have electrical problems in your home, contact a business, such as Chadwick Electric Services.