symptoms of electrical problems in the home
About Me
symptoms of electrical problems in the home

Do you have lights in your home that dim when the refrigerator kicks on? Have you ever felt a slight shock when you touch your stove with wet hands? These are just two situations that should be looked at by an electrician. I didn't give any attention to the lights that were dimming in my laundry room when I turned my dryer on. A few months after I had noticed it, we had a small electrical fire in the ceiling. To find more home electrical symptoms that shouldn't be ignored, visit my website. Here, you will find symptoms, problems and solutions for each.

symptoms of electrical problems in the home

3 Common Wiring Problems

Emily Ford

Wiring problems can pose a threat to your house and home. Although many wiring problems can be remedied within mere minutes of discovering them, others still can be quite damaging to your house and might even be the impetus for an electrical fire. Read on and discover just a few common wiring problems, whether or not the issues are code violations, and how you can go about fixing them. If you are uncomfortable with fixing any wiring issue, it is highly recommended that you call a professional electrician or electrical service.

Plugs Constantly Fall Out Of Your Receptacle

Although this is not a code violation, this problem can pose a serious problem to your home. The cause is that your receptacle is simply worn and will not properly grab the prongs of the electrical device in question. This is a serious issue because loose contacts can cause a situation in which dust and dry wood can become ignited and a fire can be started straight out of your electrical socket. This is a cheap and easy fix, luckily. Simply purchase new receptacles, unscrew the old ones, and screw the new ones in. Receptacles are generally very inexpensive, as well. They should not set you back more than $2 or so.


Overlamping is a code violation that can be easily fixed. This problem occurs when you use a light bulb with a higher wattage on a fixture that was designed to handle lower wattage lights. This issue is also a very dangerous one. A fixture that cannot handle a bulb will eventually come to overheat, which can cause the fixture itself to spark or even melt. This damage can eventually cause an electrical fire right in the socket itself. The fix is an easy one: simply make sure you stay within the wattage limits that your fixture recommends. If the fixture was designed for 60 watt bulbs, then don't go overboard.

Ungrounded Receptacles

This problem simply refers to receptacles that do not allow for grounded electrical devices. You can easily tell if this is the case since all of the receptacles in your home will be two, rather than three, pronged. This is not a code violation, per se, but all newer homes must allow for three pronged receptacles. This is also not a particularly dangerous issue. However, if you use an adapter that allow you to plug in three pronged appliances into a two pronged receptacle, this will increase the chances of destroying the device in question and potentially electrocuting you. For more information, contact a business such as JF Electrical Contractors, Inc.