Do you have lights in your home that dim when the refrigerator kicks on? Have you ever felt a slight shock when you touch your stove with wet hands? These are just two situations that should be looked at by an electrician. I didn't give any attention to the lights that were dimming in my laundry room when I turned my dryer on. A few months after I had noticed it, we had a small electrical fire in the ceiling. To find more home electrical symptoms that shouldn't be ignored, visit my website. Here, you will find symptoms, problems and solutions for each.
It's important to realize that a poorly maintained electrical system in a home can create fire hazards. You need to stay on top of maintenance and upgrades that will improve the condition of your home by ensuring that your electric system is safe and efficient.
The following are five simple home improvements you might want to get to work on if you want to improve the safety of your home's electrical system:
Redesign your electrical system or move appliances so that they're not near wet areas
You probably already know that the combination of water and electrical appliances is very dangerous. You need to make sure that outlets are protected by ground fault circuit interrupters if they're located near any appliance or fixture that uses water like a dishwasher or sink.
Ground fault circuit interrupters can help protect outlets from moisture issues. However, appliances themselves need to be kept away from wet areas. If you're worried about the hazard of having a piece of electrical equipment near a source of water, redesign your room so that appliances are kept some distance away.
Replace your extension cords
Don't underestimate the severity of fire hazards caused by faulty extension cords. If your extension cords are old, it's a good idea to replace them even if they don't seem to be visibly damaged.
Have your home rewired
If your home is old and it has never been rewired, you might want to have it inspected and rewired if an electrician determines that your system is hazardous. Rewiring an old home typically involves replacing wires with modern copper branch circuits that are more reliable.
Bring down temperatures in your attic
It's easy for wires running through an attic to overheat in the summer time. This could cause a fire to develop if wires becomes too hot and are bunched together.
It's important to make sure that your attic is adequately cooled to prevent overheating. Another thing you can do to reduce the risk of overheating in attic wires is use wires that have a larger diameter so that more current can get through without causing temperatures to rise.
Have a system installed to protect against lightning
It's important to have your home's electrical system protected against lightning. A lightning protection system can repel lightning and prevent it from striking a home.
These systems are designed to intercept lightning and channel it to the ground so it won't strike a house and possibly cause a fire. Call an electrical contractor for help.